Pages

Wednesday, September 27, 2017

RACE REPORT: Carowinds Run Ride Half Marathon 2017

After surviving WV Trifecta Weekend plus course sweep, my next event was the Carowinds Run Ride Half marathon.  Run the Half, then enjoy the park!  I hadn't been to that amusement park before, so I was looking forward to it.  It would be like Disney because of the running through the park, minus the abundance of characters and fireworks.  There were some characters, though!  And some of the cutest!



But first, the training...

Thursday, Aug 31:
5.0 in 42:01, 8:24 average, 2 degrees of incline.  Right leg was a little bit jacked up, but not bad.  Surprisingly strong, even though it wasn't long after the weekend.  My heart craved cardio today, so it was good to get back out on the treadmill.

Saturday, Sep 1:
First, a game of Settlers!

 
Then, 3 miles of kayaking!  Only my second time really being out there.  I went in the junior kayak so that my friends could take the paddleboard and larger kayak.  We went out leisurely, goofing around and taking pictures, but we hoofed it back.  Maybe we were all hungry for dinner.  Fun day out!  1 hr out, with stops, and 30 min back.  I had trouble keeping up on the way back.


 Monday, Sep 4:
 45 min body weight strength:
  • Situps: 60
  • Plank: 3 + 2.5 = 5.5
  • Abductor/Adductor leg raises: 75/80 + 115/85 = 190/165
  • Pushups: 25 + 25 = 50
  • Mt Climbers: 100
  • Single Leg Squats: 65 + 75 = 140
  • Jumping Jacks: 100
  • Flutter Kicks (4-count): 40 + 50 = 90
  • Assorted dumbbell rows
  • Ruck: 1.4 mi
  • No squats - right knee hurts when I try.
Thursday, Sep 7:
4.5 mi in 37:39, 8:22 ave.  It was only 3 days before the HM, so I didn't want to do too much.  I didn't run the previous day, which would've been ideal, but this run was at 6am, so it would still give me a good amount of time to recover.  I did a compromise between 4 and 5 miles.  I went right until my legs started feeling a bit of lactate.  Did 4 strict pullups afterwards. 

Splits> 8:33, 26, 20, 17, 4:03 for 0.5.

CAROWINDS RUN RIDE HALF MARATHON

Looking at last year's results, I thought I had a shot at 3rd, if I had my usual peak performance.  I wasn't sure that I'd be in peak shape, though, because of how I pushed it in WV.  It was tempting, though, so I went out with usual aggression.  Temps were cool in the sports bra pre-race, but that meant that it would be nice once we got going.

I went out hard.  It maybe even felt like 5K effort, even though the pace was HM pace.  There's actually surprisingly not that big of a difference between the two.  Percentage-wise, big, but mph-wise, not that much.  Pacing right is a true skill.  It's one that I tend to mess up when I'm eager for a podium spot.

The race started out going around a parking lot.  It was a good way to get us warmed up, excited for the park, and spread out a bit.  Then, we went into the park.  Cool sights, lots of park time, and lots of winding around.  It felt like they took us through as many roads in the park as possible, which was nice.  At Disney, they only take you through a portion, it feels like.

Splits: 1) 7:28, 2) 7:35, 3) 7:27, 4) 5:44 not correct.

I got passed by the 1:40 pace group at around mile 4.  I could tell that the wheels were probably coming off, and it would be a struggle to the finish.  It would be about getting an age group prize at this point.  The next portion of the course went through the campground attached to Carowinds.  It was the hilliest portion, and the winding that happened there was mentally tougher to deal with, because you were ready to get out of the hilly area, not keep going around it.  Then, we headed back to the start, where we'd move on to our second lap.  Oh man, I got jealous of those who signed up for the Quarter Marathon and got to finish after the first lap.  I was tired out after one lap!

Second lap would match the first... I was more alone this time, now that people were even more spread out.  I was kicking hard, trying to hang on.  Back through the park, struggling.

Splits> 5) 8:14, 6) 7:52, 7) 7:16, 8) 8:25.

Back into the campground.  Got a gel on the way in, and another on the way out.  There were actually 4 opportunities to get gels on the course, which was an unexpected surprise.  The HM Swag had also been good - a buff, a magnet, and a hat.  I'm not a big hat person, but I do like buffs! 

Finally, the push to the finish.  We had to do an extra little out and back, where you have to mentally muster what you have to get through.  It was hard, but I finished.

Splits> 9) 8:48, 10) 5:53, 11) 7:28, 12) 8:41, 13) 8:00, 13.1) 0:45. 


I ended up 2nd in my AG, where the prize was a pint glass and a park ticket that I got to give to a visiting friend.



The medals were cool.  They actually had 4 races that weekend: 1 mi, 5K, QM, and HM.  Each one had a different character's medal, and they could all connect via magnets.  If I had known earlier, I would've been really tempted to do more than one!  I'll definitely look out for it next year! 


Afterwards, park time!

Our favorite coaster was the Fury 325 - some insane height there!  Night Hawk was also cool, because you were supermaning it above water.  Short, but wild!  There was also a laser gun ride, reminiscent of Buzz Lightyear, that I enjoyed.  The lines were short, which made for an action-packed day!  We were in the park from about 10am to 3pm.  Our legs started getting pretty tired as the HM started setting in during the afternoon.


Fun fact - half of the park is in NC, and half of the park is in SC!!!  I didn't realize this before!


No comments: